The Department of Bengali is the largest department of the college with more than three hundred students in Honours and Post Graduate courses. The department is running since 1940. In August, 2013 the department has got the affiliation for regular Post Graduate Course from University of Calcutta. The opening ceremony has been celebrated on 23rd August, 2013 with grandeur. The journey of the first session (2013- 15) has been started on 29th August, 2013 with sixty students.
After completion of two years it is remarkable that the post graduate students are doing very well. A large number of students are scoring 1st class marks in their semesters.
Students’ seminars are a regular practice in this course where the students present papers and play the role of Resource Persons in the seminars.
Not only in academic matters, the students are also quite involved in extra-curricular activities. They actively participate in cultural events during Rabindrajayanti, Departmental get-togethers, reunions etc. and carry the rich cultural heritage of the Department of Bengali.
Internal administration is running through a Board consisting of the following members:
1. Dr. Mahua Das, Principal
2. Dr. Sucharita Bandyopadhyay, Dept. of Bengali, C.U. and Nominee of the V.C., C.U.
3. Dr. Urmi Roy Chowdhury, Dept. of Bengali, C.U. and Nominee of the V.C., C.U.
4. Dr. Barun Kumar Chakraborty, Ex Professor, Kalyani University
5. Dr. Sumita Bhattacharya, Ex Professor, C.U.
6. Dr. Sohrab Hossain, Associate Professor, Ananda Mohan College
7. Dr. Manasi Sen Gupta, Associate Professor and Head of the Dept.
8. Dr. Dipti Chakrabarti, Associate Professor
9. Dr. Saumen Das, Associate Professor and Course Co-Ordinator
10. Sri Shyamal Ranjan Bhattacharya, Head Clerk
11. Sri Himangshu Chakraborty, Accountant
The department has a very good collection of books sufficient for the students. The book lending is based mainly on home issue system.
Special Lectures and Seminar Classes
Eminent Professors and celebrities come and enrich the students with their valuable presentations.
The Personalities who have come in the last two years are:
1. Dr. Sudhir Chakraborty
2. Dr. Soumitra Basu
3. Dr. Indrani Sen
4. Dr. Sudipto Chattopadhyay
5. Dr. Himabanta Bandopadhyay
6. Dr. Sucharita Bandopadhyay
7. Dr. Subha Choudhury
Internal teachers take regular classes.
Stalwart, eminent and experienced teachers from different universities and colleges are also invited as Visiting Faculty.
1. Dr. Manasi Sen Gupta, M.A., M. Phil, Ph. D., Associate Professor, Specialisation in Comparative Literature.
2. Dr. Dipti Chakrabarti, M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Specialisation in Tagore Literature
3. Dr. Saumen Das, M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Specialisation in Folk Literature
4. Dr. Avijit Banerjee, M.A., M. Phil., Ph. D., Assistant Professor, Specialisation in Medieval Literature
1. Professor Dr. Pabitra Sarkar, Ex Vice Chancellor., Rabindra Bharati University
2. Professor Dr. Barun Kumar Chakraborty, Ex Professor, Kalyani University
3. Professor Dr. Sumita Bhattacharya, Ex Professor, Calcutta University
4. Dr. Sohrab Hossain, Associate Professor, Ananda Mohan College
5. Dr. Sonali Roy, Associate Professor, Prafulla Chandra College
6. Dr. Apurba Kumar Dey, Raja Pyari Mohan College
7. Dr. Siddharta Datta, Associate Professor, Chakdaha College
8. Dr. Paramita Banerjee, Associate Professor, Jogamaya Devi College
9. Dr. Subrata Chatterjee, Associate Professor, Konnagar Nabagram Hiralal Pal College
10. Dr. Sumahan Bandopadhyay, Associate Professor, North Bengal University
11. Dr. Susmita Saha, Assistant Professor, Vidyasagar Evening College
• The entire admission procedure will be online.
• Sixty seats are allotted in each year.
• As per C.U. norms, candidates who have passed B.A. Examination with Bengali Honours under any University can apply.
• Admission in 60% of the seats will be from C.U. students only, on the basis of marks obtained in B.A. (Honours) Examination.
• 40% of the seats will be opened for students of all the universities including C.U. and the admission in these seats will be through an admission test.
• Admission test will be held on Honours syllabus of C.U. with multiple choice questions of 100 marks.
• Reservation of seats as per rule.
• The above rules may be changed if any change would occur in C.U Norms.
Some Essential Information about the Post Graduate course in Bengali
• Duration of the course is two years with four semesters.
• Semesters 1 & 2 will be completed in the 1st year and 3 & 4 in the 2nd year.
• Total marks for the course is 800.
• Syllabus for each semester is divided by 4 units.
• Marks division is 40x4 units = 160 for written examination and 10x4 units = 40 for Internal Assessment in each semester.
• The Internal Assessments will be held in December/January for the 1st and 3rd semesters and in June/July for the 2nd and 4th semesters.
• The written examinations will be held in January for the 1nd & 3rd Semestters and in July for the 2nd & 4th semesters.
• To get the Master of Arts (M.A.) Degree and to appear in the examinations, 75% attendance in the classes is must. Pass marks in the examinations are 40%. The students securing 60% of the total 800 marks will get 1st Class.
• Internal Assessments will be based not only on Academics, but also on attendance in the classes, participation in seminars and co-curricular activities and class response. All of these matters will be monitored properly.